Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Love it, I presume...


One of my pet peeves is reading romantic historical novels with modern dialogues. I can't stand for the life of me reading "You are such a jerk!" line (Johanna Lindsey) set in Regency England. That's one reason why I never really like this genre generally, except for Amanda Quick.

Since I had to take a 17 our flight back to Manila, I decided to bring books that will be a no-brainer and won't require as much mental (and occasionally, emotional) exertion. As much as I would like to look intellectual and bring "smart" books, I opted for my sisters' so-called brain junkfood since I was sad enough as it was. I chose the least evil (Translate: least cheesy) Julia Quinn. I finished reading Mr. Cavendish, I Presume. Lo an Behold, I was pleasantly surprised! I'm beginning to be quite a fan. Ms. Quinn's books are delightful and well-researched in terms of the setting and time. I love the witty dialogues (Although I think Amanda Quick's is still sharper, lucid an more fluid). I'm on to my next one and I hope it'll be as charming. As my Ate honey tells me, the best way to enjoy this kind of books is just to suspend disbelief and just go with the fairytale ride.

No comments: