Wednesday, August 19, 2009

tin times


I thought this seemed familiar. We were talking about our dreams, our opinions, and people in our lives, our men, our plans and goals and just the funny persons around us. Same old, same old. Except that we are not the same. I’m a married businesswoman and I’m proud to say she’s a UN intern, a nomad in life. One day she’s in Tokyo, the next month in Manchester and some days spent lazing around in Maldives (I am jealous). Next month, she’s off to Netherlands. The world is her classroom.

Tin was one of my closest friends back in high school. As we were talking and laughing, I was reminded of the girl I used to be. How we have changed so much yet are still the same. Same old, same old.

There are people in my life that I don’t get to see all the time but when I’m with them, the ease, the closeness is still there. The last time I was with Tin was months ago and it is already years since we last talked, really talked. On my way to my fave coffee shop where I was about to meet her, I’ve thought about things to talk about. Honestly, I was a bit worried that the years have drifted us so apart from the comfortable familiarity we once knew so well. As I was looking at the familiar girl in front of me, I was reminded of that same person I was giggling with at the back of the Ateneo HS building, the girl I used to pass endless notes with, the girl I used to talk with for 5 hours straight on the phone, plotting, making semi-evil schemes, the girl I used to share my plans and dreams in life. Then the words just came pouring out, not so much reminiscing but more of looking forward, of our new plans (schemes?) and new “grown-up” dreams. Same old, same old.

We had cheek cramps from laughing too much that afternoon. As I always say, you don’t realize how much you’ve missed someone until you spend time with them.

No comments: