Tuesday, December 22, 2009

hallmark post: December 23


I come from a close tribe of siblings. And since this is my blog and my story, I like to think of my siblings as the supporting characters when we were growing up.

There is always of course, the “sidekick” and that is my ate Hazel. (This is my story, tel. I’ll be your sidekick in your story.) She was my constant companion and my ally. Since we basically come from the same age group, growing up we always experienced things together, knew each other’s deepest secrets, dressed up similarly, and pretended we were twins.

There is of course, my tormentor; the harmless although exasperating nemesis who loved to make my life more colorful and intense. My sister Tiffany was actually good at being wicked growing up. She was like the big brother I never had, never failing to remind me of my embarrassing moments and cheerfully helping to make new ones for me. She made sure that this role was locked for her by toppling down my other enemies (like a bad bf) and fighting for me fiercely.

My little brother Josh is my precious. My main man. He is the one I am most protective of. The one I guard with my life.

Then there is Ate Vi.

My eldest sister has always had big shoes to fill. They say the first born is special because they set the bar for their siblings. They always experience and have everything first. I used to ask myself many times what if I were the eldest or maybe my Ate Tiffany or my Ate Hazel, would everything be the same? It is only at this age, I realize the answer to that.

The eldest although special, is also the “sacrificial” role. I realize this with my Ate Vi, who always had to choose the heavier load and the high road.

When you come from a close tribe of siblings, there is always that one you a find little bit extraordinary. Not because you love them a little bit more but because they are the embodiment of your goodness and a better version of yourself and since they are your siblings and your own flesh and blood…you know somehow this goodness is attainable for yourself as well.

Happy Birthday, Ate Vi!

You are my sister by birth and by fate but my soul mate by my own heart’s choosing.
Thank you for always believing in me.I love you so much.

No comments: