Thursday, January 1, 2009

long reflections...




I’ve been accompanying Paolo for the last three days on his various social functions and shindigs. I was content observing and watching from the sideline for a change. It made me realize how much we evolved for the last five years. I was reminded again how different we are. Nowadays, I’ve learned to tone down a bit; dress down more often and take things easy. He, on the other hand, learned how to wear loose jeans among his biggest feats.

Time and circumstances softened me a bit, taught me to appreciate our differences and how we balance each others’ quirks without negating the other. I’ve always loved my own space; I have two bedrooms for crying out loud. Although I’m quite affectionate, I have a very structured sense of space.
I’m not at all comfortable in a large group of people, I get shy and I tend to slip somewhere more private. My sisters know this for sure since I’m usually the one inside a room when there is a party outside. I keep to myself that sadly gives the impression that I’m a “snob.” I work better one on one or at least in a smaller group. =) Pao, on the other hand, grew up a Politician’s son who is so used to many people and very much at home in a full house.
HE can shut off the world without shutting off the noise.
I used to feel so embarrassed and foolish when I show up on our dates or when I accompany him to his events dressed to the nines while he’s wearing his no-fail slippers. Growing up, I never noticed it since I’m surrounded by a mom and three older sister who love dressing up.

I’m emotional and very affectionate. I come from a demonstrative family who cries and is not afraid to show it. My sisters and I say I love you everyday and annoy each other often. We are sweet and expressive with our feelings.
He, on the other hand is so frustratingly laid-back. Too methodical in fact on his ways. His patience may be a virtue but too much so proves to be a bane for me….
While he is the most simple and “un-vain” person that I know of, I bask in the aesthetics. I love making people and my surroundings beautiful. I like to think I got my modest interior designer skills from my mom. Paolo, I truly believe cannot differentiate Mauve from Lilac if his life depends on it.

I’m sadly a bit snooty, proud with my ways; unfortunately, rarely wielding outside my set standards. I get annoyed easily by incompetence, rudeness and too much familiarity.
Paolo is the most humble, simplest, warmest, most endearing and patient man that ever graced my existence. He is flexible and forgiving.
He has this rare quiet and genuine kindness that only a few can master since it is but natural. I’m fastidious and particular with my endeavors while to my exasperation, he is too accommodating to a fault. We try. But through the years, we realize, it’s not about compromise or giving in…it’s more about acceptance.
Yet, I am marrying the man.
Because loving someone shouldn’t be about the similarities that unite us. It is our commitment, our promise, our readiness, our willingness and our determination to make it work. I know it will be difficult yet I also know it will be worthwhile.
…and these differences actually are the best parts of our story.

No comments: