Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Inspired.


Last night I was having this nice dinner with my husband in some Indian restaurant when I got a text message from one of my clients. I think my husband wondered for a while if my eyes watered over the spicy Korma. I do get appreciative messages every now and then which I go back often to when I’m overwhelmed and tired with work.

But this was more special. I cried after reading the message. It touched the innermost place in my heart.

My client M., approached me last April for a special project for her angel son. She wanted me to make rosary bracelets that would honor the memory of their son who just recently passed away last February. To be really honest, I was quite hesitant accepting the project since I knew it would be very difficult; they have shopped around and actually fired their first beader. Nothing would be good enough for their baby. Still, I accepted the project with openness. I realized it was an honor for me to be trusted with something this big and special.

Now, I take pride knowing I don’t only sell and design accessories but I am actually a crystal enthusiast. I make every piece personal and what makes it more special is the fact that it represents a certain meaning. Although I was a bit reluctant because I guess its natural, we second-guess ourselves every now and then; I took in this endeavor confident that I do this not only for the money…but because I love what I’m doing.

But sometimes, I do get tired. When the pressure is high, I get really stubborn and wonder; why am I doing this? It’s supposed to be a hobby. I don’t have to do this and I can get around without taking in too much.

And this project actually proved to be really hard. There were a lot of emotions involved, demands and deadlines to meet. There was for a moment, I felt I needed to back out…but I knew I wouldn’t be able to find peace with that choice. I honestly felt trapped with the project but I felt the need to just go on and do what I have to do.

I decided after that I’ll concentrate on this project no matter what and just go on with a smile. I’ll make sure every piece is wonderful and good enough for that little angel.

Then last night I got the most wonderful validation of what I do… “They are so beautiful, Thank you. It is obvious that you really took extra effort to make each one flawless. It is indeed special. We are so proud to have our son’s name and memory presenting each rosary…”

I cried not just because of the message…but because I know how much this means to them. I sort of felt we were really meant to find each other. God made a way, so they can find an avenue for healing…and for me to appreciate more of this gift. I was also reminded that no matter where you are and what you do in life, do your best. How you do things is based on who you are. The quality of one's work shouldn't be based on external factors.

I so love what I do, thank you little angel for reminding me.

No comments: