Tuesday, July 3, 2012


 Since we got back, we have been asked many times about the cost of giving birth in the States.

I understand the curiosity since we are both based here but decided to give birth in the States without any medical insurance. So I just decided to write about our personal experience.
I wouldn't write here the exact figure because it is a case to case basis but the costs of giving birth give or take can be researched online depending on the State. 
The price for us wasn't bundled into one package but we were billed for every procedure and check-up since we were paying out of pocket. 

We were ready with the cost of giving birth. It was the prenatal care that got us way off track in our budget.  Aside from the series of check-ups for the baseline data, we underwent a number of ultrasound and non-stress tests because 1. I transferred care late in my pregnancy (27 weeks) 2.They found out Hunter’s cousin was born with HLHS, a rare heart condition and 3. Hunter was small for his gestational age and wasn’t gaining much weight during the last weeks. 
Our Prenatal care alone costs as much or even more than giving birth twice here in a good hospital.  That made us a bit nervous. :/ 
That is why its safe to always add an extra 20% to any budget for unexpected costs. 

I had a normal delivery so the cost is significantly lower than a CS delivery. The cost of the epidural is what takes up a lot of the bill aside from the PF.  I was asking for epidural the minute I stepped foot in the hospital.
So this means martyr moms (I salute you!) who will opt to forego epidural can save much more.

The good thing about paying out of pocket for a medical bill in the States is you get discounts especially if you pay in cash.
Wherever you opt to give birth, you just need to research well and be ready (as much as possible) for whatever comes/happens.
We were advised more than enough to just go to the hospital “when the baby is ready to come out.” But that wasn’t even an option for us.  We were sure about going for prenatal care because it is very, very important.
We decided to do this and that means doing everything right.

More importantly even though my whole family is based in the States and Pao has some relatives too, we planned on giving birth by ourselves and not disrupt other people’s schedule and lives as much as possible since we figured this was our decision so we better be prepared for it.
Overall, it was the best experience of my life so far. I realized while writing this that Pao and I had been so hands-on with Hunter even from the beginning. We did everything by ourselves with my family on our side.

And Yes, it was all worth it. =)

No comments: