Saturday, September 5, 2009

I am annoyed and disgusted. I never really liked talking about current events outside my life in this blog. But I couldn’t help but feel appalled with the things being said about the Chavit-Tiongson beating case. As if it’s the woman’s fault she was beaten to a bloody pulp. I was reading a popular showbiz site and was so shocked with the readers’ comments. Even if she was at fault: no one, absolutely no one has the right to lift a finger and hurt another person. I first noticed this while watching News last night; the reporters were delivering the news with slight smiles on their faces. I am shocked this is just being treated as a sort of entertainment for some people. This would definitely not be the case in another place. Still goes to show us our country is very patriarchal and sadly, still behind when it comes to women’s rights. You get beaten up and it ends up being your fault. Men get away with the same offense and people just shrug their shoulders as if to say, “lalaki eh.” It shouldn’t be even a case of who’s lying or if they were really together when this happened or not. The focus should be beating another person, all the more a woman, to a bloody pulp which is plain wrong. No excuses, no reasons, no pretexts.

No one is entitled to another person’s life.

No comments: