Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My mama never cried in any of our weddings...

Not a tear. Unlike my papa who is legendary and just a look on his face, made the whole church cry. It’s a given when you are giving away a daughter.

But mama was always composed in her gown. She looked different every time, in all of the four weddings. I suspect most of our friends from Roxas were more excited about how she would look like than they were with the bride. Everyone says their mom is the most beautiful, it’s a given. But when I say I have the most beautiful mother, I think a lot of people can back me up. She has always been the muse, the celebrated beauty.

She walked down the aisle in all of our four weddings; cool, composed and smiling.

That’s how she has always been. When I was in grade school, I was all the time joining different competitions from Balagtasan to Math contests (go figure) and student council and she was always so nonchalant about it. I saw other stage moms fluttering about with my classmates and other contestants and mama was just always so cool as she tells me, “ok, do your best.”

I always asked her why it seemed like she’s so blasé about it and she always answered the same thing: Because I know you can do it.

A mother’s word is like a magical placebo. The syrupy sweet thing you take in thinking it can cure all the ailments when in fact it’s not anything different with the usual.

And yet it cures you.

I knew I was a good student then. But I wasn’t good at everything yet I was able to do a lot of things because she made me believe I can do it.

It’s not that my mama is cold. She's actually very funny and emotional. She cried more when we had our hearts broken. I remember having my heart broken over my first puppy love. She drove all the way to my dorm, picked me up and we had a burger at McDonald’s. I remember her telling me how I would look back with my true love someday and everything would make sense and how everything would pale in comparison.

And oh, how right she was.

Now, it’s my great hope that someday,
when it’s my turn to walk down the aisle to give away my future daughter I will be as composed. I would smile and make sure I have the loveliest mother-of-the bride gown, not a make-up out of place. I would enjoy the walk with my head held up high…because I know I did my job.

You did a great job, mama. I love you so much.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

No comments: