Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I always say I feel as if I missed a chunk in my life as a grown-up. There is no transition whatsoever in my life from a student living with my parents and being a teenager at 24…to getting married and being a wife. I grew up in a fairly conservative family who imposed curfew on us up until we graduated from College.

I only felt my being a grown-up when one night I was asking my papa about some wedding details, and he told me, “it’s time for you to decide on that; on your own…or ask Paolo.” It was a very, very simple statement yet I felt more grown-up that moment than graduating twice from College. It was bittersweet for me. I felt sad but at the same time appreciative of the power that I have now. I guess it's very Pinoy but we were that typical, conservative Pinoy family. I realized I wouldn’t be able to value responsibility and deciding for myself now if my papa and my mama were any other way.

For all the years my papa would not allow me to go out later than most of my friends, for all the years I have this unspoken yet overwhelming awareness of his authority, I never felt suffocated…but safe.

I realize I want to learn that. I want to learn when to hold firmly without overwhelming somebody…and when to let go.

I remember when I was still a student, he wouldn’t allow us to go out all the time because of safety reasons but ironically would push us to learn how to commute, how to fend for ourselves, how to think on our feet and be our own heroes.

I have always believed my papa although had shielded us like the ladies that we are…he trained us like fearless “men."

We are married to fine men I must say, my sisters and I…we never settled nor compromised because we saw early on what a good man is.

You raised the bar, papa. I love you. I can’t wait to see you all! Happy birthday!

No comments: