Thursday, June 17, 2010

I’ve been neglecting this blog for a little while now.


...As well, as my housewife-y duties.

That I realized while ordering again for the nth weeknight in a row. I don’t really have an excuse. I have a wonderful assistant. I can’t complain like my sisters do since I have my lovely Lovely (yes, that’s her name) that helps me with the house. But still, I find myself every start of the week with an exact copy of the to-do list last week, freshly written for the new week ahead.

During the first months of our marriage, I was lucky enough to have our “Yaya” Lulu with us. While we were wrapped up in our newly-wedded bubble of bliss, She did everything, from screening unwanted visitors, deciding for herself when I can be “available,” preparing meals and menu for the week, keeping tabs on the bills and most specially, talking and dealing with my suppliers. I basically just gave her the budget for every week. She was very dependable and I appreciate that because she was exactly what we needed during our first few months of newly-wedded googliness and adjustments. When she left some months ago to start her own sari-sari store, I decided I will be hiring somebody younger since I really wanted to be this domesticated diva I’ve always imagined myself to be. This time, I'll be in-charge. I wanted to get someone to assist me, basically someone who will be my sort of P.A. since there aren’t a lot of things to do around the house anyway and it’s only just ze hubby and me.

Now, I am slowly realizing adjustments in a marriage, most specially the shifting of roles don’t only happen in the first few months, or even the first year. Although I do procrastinate at times, I am a perfectionist. I love doing everything thoroughly. This aspect of my personality reminded me so much more that I am not quite the “homemaker” I’ve imagined myself to be, a role I thought I could fit into quite easily. I have this scenario in my head, a perfect scene of me all-glammed up in the evening, holding a wine of glass (even if I don’t regularly drink wine) waiting for ze hubby to come home to our equally glammed-up house. In reality, we are more of a modern couple, we do our own things during the day and have a nice dinner together somewhere to cap off a tiring day.

*Sigh. But still, the little Susie Homemaker in me is antsy to start cooking things up.

Tomorrow, I will cook. I promise.

No comments: