Tuesday, August 16, 2011



I just finished reading Samantha Sotto's book "Before Ever After." A lot of people say, it's too lyrical and there are too many metaphors but I guess "flowery" is my literary aesthetics, because it worked for me. I love googling the places she had written about and after putting the book down, I had this longing ache to go to Europe and an urge to embrace my husband for the longest time.

The book combines everything I like reading about: History, Travel, Magic and Romance. The story is magical. I am besotted.

"...Shelley pulled off her wedding ring, revealing the pale band of skin where the ring had embraced her every second of the last five years. She handed it to Paolo. "Look at the inscription."
"Now," Paolo read out aloud. Most People promise each other forever when they get married. Max and I promised each other Now.
"Why?"
"Because its breakable," "and the only thing you can really hold in your hands. It's where the gnomon's shadow falls on the sundial. Back then, I thought that it was romantic."
"And Now?"

"Now I realize that it was the only promise Max could make..."

No comments: