Sunday, November 30, 2008


I'm still reeling a bit from the change of weather. A day after I arrived and I got a serious case of sniffles. I'm not sure though if it is because of allergy or stress. Either way, I'm still recuperating.

Anyway, I'm officially missing everyone and everything in Downers Grove. Although I wouldn't say I'm not having a nice time now. I've been telling mama I realized I'm a lucky girl 'coz either way (Manila or Chicago), I have a good life. That's why one of my biggest peeves is hearing pinoys in the states talking sh*t about the Philippines. I always believe we should be the ambassadors of our own country. Pinoys are overall smart and can speak English moderately well, compared to ther asians so that's enough to make one stand and wave the flag proudly. I can't stand hearing typical pinoys, especially those who have been in the U.S. for just a while (with a ridiculous american twang, thrown in) talking about how dirty, etc. etc. etc our good old country is...and this to the other non-pinoys. Sometimes I want to whack them hard and let them know that when you speak ugly about the country you are from, it talks volumes about who and what you are.

I was in the airport and the guy mistakenly thought I was Spanish, not Mexican but Spanish ('coz of my name and height). Albeit being extremely flattered, I proudly said I am a Filipina but "Yo comprendo espanol un poco pero no hablo, hehehe." (and no, I didn't learn this from Dora). "I'm a Filipina," I rarely say that but I realized I say it with relish, if not pride.

I may be a bit disparaging with this pseudo-pinoys, after all I have a good life in Manila. My family didn't go to the US to escape poverty or unfortunate conditions so I may not understand. And although I absoultely abhor pinoy showbiz and pop culture, I appreciate well enough the legacy and history of our ways of life. I've been educated in U.P. as well, hence my stout patriotism. I've been taught to give back to the country that gives to me. For some of these pseudo-pinoys that may be the U.S. but I hope they also remember for the first few years if not decades of their lives, it was the Philippines. Just like any other country, there are ugly and dirty parts but I've been fortunate enough to know also about the beautiful parts. And I choose to remember those when someone asks me: where are you from?

No comments: