Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Miss Universe Hang-over

Pardon me, I still have a hang-over from yesterday's excitement over the Miss U. I just read Lea Salonga's column in Philippine Inquirer and she stated that the judges were unanimous with their decision over the winner. What people may have seen on tv was different from what they saw. Shamcey was her second placer but over-all it was in the bag for Miss Angola.

I loved how Shamcey answered but after thinking about it (talagang analysis), I realized her answer was cultural. It was something we Filipinos can relate to but on an international platform (and just days after September 11) her answer shouldn't have been too exclusive.
She should have said, "I will not give up anything nor would I ask him to. If we love each other so much then we should respect if not accept all our beliefs. True love is universal--whoever our gods may be, whatever we may believe in."

But then my sister who's an alumna and a semi-finalist of the Bb. Pilipinas pageant said that when you are up there, composure and thinking fast on your feet is everything. The fact she was able to answer with composure, eloquence, honesty and poise without seconds to think about it--that alone should have counted so much more. So Bravo, Shamcey! (Clap, clap, clap). You are a winner.

I am not a Pageant aficionado although I do watch the Miss U all the time. Days before the Miss U 2011, I told Paolo there's something about Miss Angola that I really, really liked. More than how she looks like, there's something about her countenance that just takes your breath away. So Pao was surprised my bet (aside from Shamcey) won.


She reminds me so much of one of my all-time favorites, Miss Japan, Kurara Chibana (My major girl crush), the Miss Universe first runner-up 2006 (who I personally think deserved the title and not Miss Puerto Rico). Oo na, aminin na, aficionado na ako.


These women are not necessarily the most beautiful in the pageant, but they are the most radiant. There's just something about them that stuns.
There are a lot of beautiful faces but there are only a few of those gifted with the ability to stand out. That for me is a real beauty. Something innate and with the person even when they get older.

And for those who kept saying Miss Universe pageants are stupid and airhead women are made into objects, please tell us if there is another contest in this world as prestigious that brings more than 80 plus countries (wherein all are in equal footing) together to take part in something beautiful. These women are ambassadors of their countries. You can't be an airhead and retain your composure representing your country. For me, that's a celebration of femininity.

So congrats Miss Angola, Congrats Shamcey! Until the next Miss U!

No comments: